There are some things that every woman just needs to know. I created this guide of tips for women because, well, if we have a secret tip that can help other women out, we should share our little gems of knowledge! So, if you’re curious about what to use when you run out of make-up setting spray or how many glasses of wine to have in a bubble bath or why you should stop making duck faces right now, look no further than my tips for women.
I’ve got you covered. Trust me. But if you’re looking for something a little more life related (this article is pretty fluffy tbh) then check out my post about 25 things women should know by 25. I got advice from journalists, producers, designers, celebs – you name it. Very trustworthy.
Anyways, I hope you come out a little bit more sassy and savvy after reading this post.
TIPS FOR WOMEN | The 15 things that all women should know
1. If you run out of setting spray, lightly mist your face with hairspray after you’ve done your party make-up for a look that lasts perfectly all night. This sounds super gross and it’s really bad for your skin, but when you’re in a pinch, it’ll do.
2. But of course, never go to bed with your make-up on. Make-up wipes leave plenty of dirt behind so always try to use a wash, then a toner, then maybe wash again. You don’t want any of your TOM FORD Traceless Foundation getting onto your white-enough-for-instagram pillow cases, do you?
3. Own at least two strapless bras: one white, one black. Nothing is more hideous than coloured, dirty or old (or all three) bra straps sticking out of a silk tank. If I can get away with it, I go without a bra but we all know those tops that you need to wear one with. Unless you’re Kendall Jenner and then you don’t need to wear a bra ever.
4. Don’t do diets. I’ve never done a diet in my life and I feel great about myself. Eat healthily and in moderation. Allow yourself a cheat day too. Or a cheat per day – that’s how I usually do it. Actually, I hear those guacamole Doritos calling my name right now. Brb.
5. Don’t buy cheap jeans or shoes – if you want them to last. Buy cheap sunglasses, costume jewellery and flip flops instead. I mean, I’ve bought cheap denim before and they always end up doing something weird in the crotch and giving you an offensive case of Khloe Kamel.
6. People love to say “you can sleep when you’re dead” but I’m a firm believer in 8 hours of sleep per night. It’s called “beauty rest” for a reason. I also get really grouchy if I haven’t had enough sleep so for fucks sake, let me sleep. You’ll thank me later.
7. Smile in photos. No more duck face or whatever strange face is trending at the moment. Do you really want to look back at those pouty, heavily glossed lips when you’re 80? If you want to truly understand what I’m talking about, check out this meme from the Betches.
8. Take bubble baths – not just when you’re sick. And make sure to have a chilled glass of wine (or more like three) when you do it. Honestly, that’s the only way I take a bath.
9. Moisturize your hands, face, neck and chest daily. Those are the parts of your body that show aging first. Sorry to scare you. I know nothing is creepier than imagining yourself old and wrinkly when you’re in your 20s. I moisturize in the morning and at night, every night.
10. Use sunscreen! Even in the winter. Especially on your face!!!!!!!!!! Cannot stress this enough. Remember what I said about being old and wrinkly? Well, try old, wrinkly and leathery.
11. Read as much as you can. I read anything and everything – fiction, true crime (my favourite), magazines. Plus, it helps you live longer.
12. Always carry bandaids in your purse. Trust me, it’s worth it. Oh, and lipstick. It doesn’t matter what colour, just as long as you have something. Lipstick is something you can throw on in 10 seconds flat and completely change your look.
13. Make serious use of the ‘Reminders’ app in your iPhone. I wouldn’t get half the stuff done that I do without it.
14. Never, ever skip breakfast. Did you know that it’s better for you to eat 6 donuts than skip breakfast? I read that somewhere. I mean, I’m not 100% sure if it’s actually true but I believe it and I never miss breakfast – as much as I would rather eat 6 donuts.
15. Always remember, “happy girls are the prettiest girls” so try to leave all the negative stuff in your past and look for the good in every situation. If you really can’t find anything good, mix yourself an Aviation cocktail because those are delicious as hell and will help you forget about the non existent silver linings.